Gmail Like Spell Checker For Websites with GoogieSpell
If you are creating a web application in which you want to add spelling checker. You can try of many available jQuery plugins. In this post, I am going to introduce you with one of those plugins. This post is about the plugin GoogieSpell which adds a Gmail style spell checker into a web application.
Note: This post was originally written almost 3 years ago. Now Gmail has changed the design of its spelling checker. But still, this plugin works good.
This plugin use Google’s spelling checking database for checking spellings. This AJAX spell checker simply sends a query to Google’s spell checking address: “https://www.google.com/tbproxy/spell?lang=” and displays the results and recommendations according to the result of this data.
GoogieSpell Spelling checker jQuery Plugin features:
- Supports 27 languages
- Well tested and works on IE 5.5, IE 6.0, IE 7, FF 1.0+, Safari, Opera, with more
- Generic, extendable and easy to install
- AJAX based (without page-reloading)
- Used millions of times on Orangoo Spell (that’s based on GoogieSpell)
- Lightweight (around 50 KB)
- Well documented
- With GoogieSpell Multiple it’s possible to spell check multiple text fields at once
- GoogieSpell is licensed under Creative Common Non Commercial license and can’t be used in commercial products unless you buy a license
- IE 5.5 and 6
- Firefox 1.x
- Safari 2
- Opera 8.5 and 9.0
- Netscape 7.x