Many blogger and webmasters have already fighting and trying to recover from Google Panda. But Google is not going to give any kind of relief to those who are trying to fill the internet with the spam contents. Google’s webspam team has announced another update in Google’s Algorithm known as Penguin Update.
What is Penguin Update?
Penguin Update is the changes to Google’s search algorithm launched on April 24. This update aims to punish pages that have been spamming Google. In Google’s eye, spam is those content which use “keyword stuffing” or “cloaking” that violate Google’s guidelines.
According to Google, this update is fully live but can take few more days to fully rollout across all Google’s various data centers.
How to know if my website is affected?
If you want to know whether your website is affected by this update or not, take a look on the traffic graph of your website. If your search engine traffic has gone down after 24 April, it may be the effect of this new update. If there is a rise in the graph, You probably benefited from Penguin.
if you want to protect your website from the bad effects of this update, i will advice to read the full Google guideline. Google has clearly mentioned that the change will decrease rankings for sites that violates Google’s existing quality guidelines.
According to Google, there are 8 “specific guidelines”:
1. Avoid hidden text or hidden links on our website or blog: Hidden links are those links which bloggers and webmasters use only for search engines by making them invisble for the general visitors. Generally people use CSS color and size tricks to achieve this. Things which should be avoided are:
- Using white text and White links on a white background.
- Inserting text behind an image.
- Setting the font size to 0.
- Hide text on the page with CSS tricks.
2. Avoid Black Hat link building: Google Penguin update is for those website which are spam and try to get good position in search. All those website which tries to get some number of links with Black Hat link building are going to get a big hit. So before you build links for your blog, check the quality of the link partners. According to me, organic lik building is best for your website’ health. So never try to get links by some bad ways. Only work on good content and i am sure other bloggers will rewars you with good organic backlinks.
3. Don’t send automated queries to Google: Many people think that sending automated queries to search engines is good for SEO. But this is wrong. Sending automated queries to search engines affect bad for your website’s rank.
According to Google Webmaster Tools [Content Guidelines]
Google’s Terms of Service do not allow the sending of automated queries of any sort to our system without express permission in advance from Google. Sending automated queries absorbs resources and includes using any software (such as WebPosition Gold™) to send automated queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage ranks in Google search results for various queries.
4. Don’t load pages with irrelevant keywords: This is another thing which Google hates, If you are creating any blog or website then content must be fresh well written and easy to understand. Never try to load it with irrelevant keywords. Many webmasters and bloggers try to load web pages with some high paying keywords which ruin the content.
5. Don’t create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content: Copy and duplicate content is the main thing which affects the website badly. If you really want to save your website, remove all the duplicate content from the website. To avoid these issues you can indicate your preferred URL to Google by Canonicalization. If your blog accept the guest posts, then check whether they are genuine or copied posts.
6. Don’t create pages with malicious behavior: Google hates websites which are marked for malicious behavior on the internet. If you website is spreading spams, serving malware, phishing, you will get a hit for sure. If any of page on your website tries to install some software or run a script without the user’s permission, Google hates it and penalizes it without further action.
7. Avoid “doorway” pages created just for search engines: Doorways pages are some poor quality pages which are being targeted for some specific keywords or phrase. Doorway pages are web pages that are created for spamdexing, this is, for spamming the index of a search engine by inserting results for particular phrases with the purpose of sending visitors to a different page.
8. Avoid Affiliate Marketing Until You Have Good Content: If your site participates in an kind of affiliate program, make sure that your website adds some value. Always try to have some unique content. Your blog should not have scrap content and also auto-generated content.